Odds for class difference of 4: a rook

Event table notes

Event data
Name: Bristol and Clifton Club Handicap - Section A
Place: Bristol
Start date: Feb. 1872
End date: May 1872

Notes:
This handicap tournament had 30 players, who were divided into two sections based on the result of a pair of games against a single opponent, winners in Section A, losers in Section B. Each section was run as a single-round all-play-all tournament. Scores are given in the Chess Player's Chronicle for all players in both sections, apparently for the Section results, not including the initial pair of games (since one player in Section B is listed with 0 losses). However, most players did not complete their full quota of 14 games. I give the results of those players whose scores appear to indicate that they did play all 14 games. Draws counted as a half point to each player, but in all cases but one, the scores include a half point only in the number of wins, not the number of losses. For example, Prosser's score is listed as 8.5 wins and 5 losses, which almost certainly means +8-5=1. However, exceptionally, Banfield's score is listed as 8.5 wins and 4.5 losses, which I will guess means +8-4=2, though it might possibly have been only +8-4=1. I am guessing that the handicaps were the usual range: Pawn and Move, Pawn and Two Moves, Knight, Rook, for differences of 1 through 4 classes.

References
Periodicals
   [CPC], vol. 3, no. 3, June 1872, page 90

Tournament page created: 30 Sept. 2018